The use of quality of life measures in oral medicine: a review of the literature.
AffiliationOral Medicine Unit, Cork University Dental School and Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MeSHAttitude to Health
Quality of Life
Salivary Gland Diseases
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe use of quality of life measures in oral medicine: a review of the literature. 2010, 16 (5):419-30 Oral Dis
AbstractTo explore the use of patient reported quality of life measures in oral medicine, to highlight the importance of use of these measures in oral medicine practice and to provide guidance for the selection of such measures in the future.
A detailed literature review was undertaken to investigate the use of quality of life measures in oral medicine. The databases searched were MEDLINE (through PubMed), EMBASE, CINDHL, Web of Science Citation Index and the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews and randomised controlled trials.
The initial literature search yielded a total of 5310 citations; however, only 63 of these fulfilled the inclusion criteria. Twenty-two articles were regarding oral mucosal conditions, 14 related to orofacial pain disorders and 27 were regarding salivary gland-related conditions.
The evaluation of quality of life in oral medicine has a broad applicability, providing information in treatment-based studies and population-based studies. A predominance of generic and oral health specific quality of life measures are being used to a limited extent in oral medicine practice. A scarcity of reports of the development, validation or use of disease specific measures is evident.
- Orofacial pain conditions and impact on quality of life in community-dwelling elderly people in Hong Kong.
- Authors: Luo Y, McMillan AS, Wong MC, Zheng J, Lam CL
- Issue date: 2007 Winter
- Oral health-related quality of life and its relationship to self-reported oral discomfort and clinical status.
- Authors: Einarson S, Gerdin EW, Hugoson A
- Issue date: 2014
- Using associations between oral diseases and oral health-related quality of life in a nationally representative sample to propose oral health goals for 12-year-old children in Thailand.
- Authors: Krisdapong S, Prasertsom P, Rattanarangsima K, Adulyanon S, Sheiham A
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Comparison of a generic and a specific measure of oral health related quality of life.
- Authors: Brennan DS, Spencer AJ
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Discrepancies between self-ratings of and satisfaction with oral health in two older adult populations.
- Authors: Locker D, Gibson B
- Issue date: 2005 Aug