AffiliationMaterials Science Unit, Division of Oral Biosciences, Dublin Dental School & Hospital, Trinity College Dublin, Lincoln Place, Dublin 2, Ireland. email@example.com
MeSHAnalysis of Variance
Dental Marginal Adaptation
Dental Restoration Failure
Dental Restoration, Permanent
Dental Stress Analysis
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDeformation of a dental ceramic following adhesive cementation. 2010, 89 (1):87-90 J. Dent. Res.
JournalJournal of dental research
AbstractStress-induced changes imparted in a 'dentin-bonded-crown' material during sintering, annealing, pre-cementation surface modification, and resin coating have been visualized by profilometry. The hypothesis tested was that operative techniques modify the stressing pattern throughout the material thickness. We polished the upper surfaces of 10 ceramic discs to remove surface imperfections before using a contact profilometer (40-nm resolution) to measure the 'flatness'. Discs were re-profiled after annealing and after alumina particle air-abrasion and resin-coating of the 'fit' surface. Polished surfaces were convex, with a mean deflection of 8.4 + or - 1.5 microm. Mean deflection was significantly reduced (P = 0.029) following alumina particle air-abrasion and increased (P < 0.001) on resin-coating. Polishing induced a tensile stress state, resulting in surface convexity. Alumina particle air-abrasion reduced the relative tensile stress state of the contralateral polished surface. Resin-polymerization generated compression within the resin-ceramic 'hybrid layer' and tension in the polished surface and is likely to contribute to the strengthening of ceramics by resin-based cements.
- Evaluation of shear and tensile bond strength between dentin and ceramics using dual-polymerizing resin cements.
- Authors: Pekkan G, Hekimoglu C
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Influence of cementation technique on fracture strength and leakage of alumina all-ceramic crowns after cyclic loading.
- Authors: Blatz MB, Oppes S, Chiche G, Holst S, Sadan A
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- The effect of ceramic surface treatment on bonding to densely sintered alumina ceramic.
- Authors: Valandro LF, Della Bona A, Antonio Bottino M, Neisser MP
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Tensile bond strength of ceramic crowns to dentin using resin cements.
- Authors: Simon JF, de Rijk WG, Hill J, Hill N
- Issue date: 2011
- Microtensile bond strength of a resin cement to glass infiltrated zirconia-reinforced ceramic: the effect of surface conditioning.
- Authors: Amaral R, Ozcan M, Bottino MA, Valandro LF
- Issue date: 2006 Mar