Genome-wide meta-analyses identify multiple loci associated with smoking behavior.
AffiliationDepartment of Genetics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27710, USA.
Genome-Wide Association Study
Polymorphism, Single Nucleotide
MetadataShow full item record
CitationGenome-wide meta-analyses identify multiple loci associated with smoking behavior. 2010, 42 (5):441-7 Nat. Genet.
AbstractConsistent but indirect evidence has implicated genetic factors in smoking behavior. We report meta-analyses of several smoking phenotypes within cohorts of the Tobacco and Genetics Consortium (n = 74,053). We also partnered with the European Network of Genetic and Genomic Epidemiology (ENGAGE) and Oxford-GlaxoSmithKline (Ox-GSK) consortia to follow up the 15 most significant regions (n > 140,000). We identified three loci associated with number of cigarettes smoked per day. The strongest association was a synonymous 15q25 SNP in the nicotinic receptor gene CHRNA3 (rs1051730[A], beta = 1.03, standard error (s.e.) = 0.053, P = 2.8 x 10(-73)). Two 10q25 SNPs (rs1329650[G], beta = 0.367, s.e. = 0.059, P = 5.7 x 10(-10); and rs1028936[A], beta = 0.446, s.e. = 0.074, P = 1.3 x 10(-9)) and one 9q13 SNP in EGLN2 (rs3733829[G], beta = 0.333, s.e. = 0.058, P = 1.0 x 10(-8)) also exceeded genome-wide significance for cigarettes per day. For smoking initiation, eight SNPs exceeded genome-wide significance, with the strongest association at a nonsynonymous SNP in BDNF on chromosome 11 (rs6265[C], odds ratio (OR) = 1.06, 95% confidence interval (Cl) 1.04-1.08, P = 1.8 x 10(-8)). One SNP located near DBH on chromosome 9 (rs3025343[G], OR = 1.12, 95% Cl 1.08-1.18, P = 3.6 x 10(-8)) was significantly associated with smoking cessation.
- Genome-wide meta-analyses of smoking behaviors in African Americans.
- Authors: David SP, Hamidovic A, Chen GK, Bergen AW, Wessel J, Kasberger JL, Brown WM, Petruzella S, Thacker EL, Kim Y, Nalls MA, Tranah GJ, Sung YJ, Ambrosone CB, Arnett D, Bandera EV, Becker DM, Becker L, Berndt SI, Bernstein L, Blot WJ, Broeckel U, Buxbaum SG, Caporaso N, Casey G, Chanock SJ, Deming SL, Diver WR, Eaton CB, Evans DS, Evans MK, Fornage M, Franceschini N, Harris TB, Henderson BE, Hernandez DG, Hitsman B, Hu JJ, Hunt SC, Ingles SA, John EM, Kittles R, Kolb S, Kolonel LN, Le Marchand L, Liu Y, Lohman KK, McKnight B, Millikan RC, Murphy A, Neslund-Dudas C, Nyante S, Press M, Psaty BM, Rao DC, Redline S, Rodriguez-Gil JL, Rybicki BA, Signorello LB, Singleton AB, Smoller J, Snively B, Spring B, Stanford JL, Strom SS, Swan GE, Taylor KD, Thun MJ, Wilson AF, Witte JS, Yamamura Y, Yanek LR, Yu K, Zheng W, Ziegler RG, Zonderman AB, Jorgenson E, Haiman CA, Furberg H
- Issue date: 2012 May 22
- Genome-wide association study of smoking behaviours in patients with COPD.
- Authors: Siedlinski M, Cho MH, Bakke P, Gulsvik A, Lomas DA, Anderson W, Kong X, Rennard SI, Beaty TH, Hokanson JE, Crapo JD, Silverman EK, COPDGene Investigators., ECLIPSE Investigators.
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Sequence variants at CHRNB3-CHRNA6 and CYP2A6 affect smoking behavior.
- Authors: Thorgeirsson TE, Gudbjartsson DF, Surakka I, Vink JM, Amin N, Geller F, Sulem P, Rafnar T, Esko T, Walter S, Gieger C, Rawal R, Mangino M, Prokopenko I, Mägi R, Keskitalo K, Gudjonsdottir IH, Gretarsdottir S, Stefansson H, Thompson JR, Aulchenko YS, Nelis M, Aben KK, den Heijer M, Dirksen A, Ashraf H, Soranzo N, Valdes AM, Steves C, Uitterlinden AG, Hofman A, Tönjes A, Kovacs P, Hottenga JJ, Willemsen G, Vogelzangs N, Döring A, Dahmen N, Nitz B, Pergadia ML, Saez B, De Diego V, Lezcano V, Garcia-Prats MD, Ripatti S, Perola M, Kettunen J, Hartikainen AL, Pouta A, Laitinen J, Isohanni M, Huei-Yi S, Allen M, Krestyaninova M, Hall AS, Jones GT, van Rij AM, Mueller T, Dieplinger B, Haltmayer M, Jonsson S, Matthiasson SE, Oskarsson H, Tyrfingsson T, Kiemeney LA, Mayordomo JI, Lindholt JS, Pedersen JH, Franklin WA, Wolf H, Montgomery GW, Heath AC, Martin NG, Madden PA, Giegling I, Rujescu D, Järvelin MR, Salomaa V, Stumvoll M, Spector TD, Wichmann HE, Metspalu A, Samani NJ, Penninx BW, Oostra BA, Boomsma DI, Tiemeier H, van Duijn CM, Kaprio J, Gulcher JR, ENGAGE Consortium., McCarthy MI, Peltonen L, Thorsteinsdottir U, Stefansson K
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Pharmacotherapy for smoking cessation: effects by subgroup defined by genetically informed biomarkers.
- Authors: Schuit E, Panagiotou OA, Munafò MR, Bennett DA, Bergen AW, David SP
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 8
- Pathways to smoking behaviours: biological insights from the Tobacco and Genetics Consortium meta-analysis.
- Authors: Minicã CC, Mbarek H, Pool R, Dolan CV, Boomsma DI, Vink JM
- Issue date: 2017 Jan