AffiliationCork University Dental School and Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland. email@example.com
Aged, 80 and over
Attitude to Health
Consumer Health Information
Dental Restoration, Permanent
Oral Surgical Procedures
Patient Education as Topic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDental patients' use of the Internet. 2009, 207 (12):583-6; 575 Br Dent J
JournalBritish dental journal
AbstractTo determine the use of the Internet by patients attending a range of dental clinics to search for information regarding dental procedures, and also to investigate their interest in online dental consultations and 'dental tourism'.
A questionnaire was designed and randomly distributed to 520 patients attending the restorative dentistry, dental surgery and oral medicine clinics of Cork University Dental School and Hospital.
Of the 520 questionnaires distributed, 500 were completed leading to a response rate of 96.2%. The majority of patients were familiar with using the Internet on a daily basis, with only 163 (32.6%) patients not using the Internet in their everyday lives. One hundred and seventy-seven (34.5%) patients either researched their presenting dental/oral condition or had a family or friend research their condition on their behalf. One hundred and eighty-five (37%) patients would consult with a dental practitioner online regarding an oral problem and a similar number (n=186) of patients surveyed would consider using the Internet to plan trips abroad for dental treatment.
Practitioner-led direction for patients regarding quality information sources online is important. With the increased interest in travelling abroad for dental treatment, guidance for patients and practitioners regarding the legal and ethical issues pertaining to dental tourism is critical.
- The use of the Internet to access oral health-related information by patients attending dental hygiene clinics.
- Authors: Harris CE, Chestnutt IG
- Issue date: 2005 May
- The internet--friend or foe? A questionnaire study of orthopaedic out-patients.
- Authors: Gupte CM, Hassan AN, McDermott ID, Thomas RD
- Issue date: 2002 May
- Use of the Internet as a resource of health information by patients: a clinic-based study in the Indian population.
- Authors: Akerkar SM, Kanitkar M, Bichile LS
- Issue date: 2005 Apr-Jun
- Use of the Internet by patients attending hospital for oral and maxillofacial procedures.
- Authors: Shafi A, Dewar A, Cowan C, Sood V, Brennan PA, Hislop S
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Patients' use of the Internet for pain-related medical information.
- Authors: de Boer MJ, Versteegen GJ, van Wijhe M
- Issue date: 2007 Sep