Three-Dimensional Assessment of Early Surgical Outcome in Repaired Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate: Part 1. Nasal changes.
AffiliationGlasgow Dental Hospital and School.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThree-Dimensional Assessment of Early Surgical Outcome in Repaired Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate: Part 1. Nasal changes. 2010: Cleft Palate Craniofac. J.
JournalThe Cleft palate-craniofacial journal : official publication of the American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association
AbstractAbstract Objective: To evaluate 3D nasal morphology following primary reconstruction in children with unilateral cleft lip and palate relative to contemporaneous non-cleft data Design: Prospective, cross-sectional, controlled study. Setting: Glasgow Dental Hospital & School, Faculty of Medicine, Glasgow University Patients and Participants: Two groups of 3-year old children (21 with unilateral cleft lip and palate and 96 controls) with facial images taken using a 3D vision based capture technique. Methods: 3D images of the face were reflected so the cleft was on the left side to create a homogenous group for statistical analysis. Three-dimensional co-ordinates of anthropometric landmarks were extracted from facial images by a single operator. A set of linear measurements was utilised to compare cleft and control subjects on right and left sides, adjusting for sex differences Results: the mean nasal base width and the width of the nostril floor on right and left sides differed significantly between control and Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate (UCLP) groups. The measurements were greater in UCLP children. The difference in the mean nasal height and mean nasal projection between the groups were not statistically significant. Mean columellar lengths were different between the left and right sides in UCLP cases. Conclusions: There were significant nasal deformities following the surgical repair of UCLP. Keywords: child, cleft lip and palate, three-dimensional imaging.
- Three-dimensional assessment of early surgical outcome in repaired unilateral cleft lip and palate: Part 2. Lip changes.
- Authors: Ayoub A, Garrahy A, Millett D, Bowman A, Siebert JP, Miller J, Ray A
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- 3D assessment of lip scarring and residual dysmorphology following surgical repair of cleft lip and palate: a preliminary study.
- Authors: Ayoub A, Bell A, Simmons D, Bowman A, Brown D, Lo TW, Xiao Y
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- Effect of alveolar bone grafting on nasal morphology, symmetry, and nostril shape of patients with unilateral cleft lip and palate.
- Authors: Sander M, Daskalogiannakis J, Tompson B, Forrest C
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Facial dimensions of Malay children with repaired unilateral cleft lip and palate: a three dimensional analysis.
- Authors: Zreaqat M, Hassan R, Halim AS
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- Three-dimensional facial morphology following surgical repair of unilateral cleft lip and palate in patients after nasoalveolar molding.
- Authors: Singh GD, Levy-Bercowski D, Yáñez MA, Santiago PE
- Issue date: 2007 Aug