Three-Dimensional Assessment of Early Surgical Outcome in Repaired Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate: Part 2. Lip Changes.
AffiliationGlasgow Dental Hospital and School.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThree-Dimensional Assessment of Early Surgical Outcome in Repaired Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate: Part 2. Lip Changes. 2010: Cleft Palate Craniofac. J.
JournalThe Cleft palate-craniofacial journal : official publication of the American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association
AbstractAbstract Objective: To evaluate 3D lip morphology, following primary reconstruction in children with unilateral cleft lip and palate (UCLP) relative to contemporaneous non-cleft data Design: Prospective, cross-sectional, controlled study Setting: Glasgow Dental Hospital & School, University of Glasgow, The UK. Patients and Participants: Two groups of 3-year old children (21 with unilateral cleft lip and palate and 96 controls) with facial images taken using a 3D vision based capture technique. Methods: 3D images of the face were reflected so the cleft was on the left side to create a homogenous group for statistical analysis. Three-dimensional co-ordinates of anthropometric landmarks were extracted from facial images. 3D generalised Procustes superimposition was employed and a set of linear measurements were utilised to compare between cleft and control subjects for right and left sides, adjusting for sex differences. Results: Christa philteri on both the cleft and non-cleft sides were displaced laterally and posteriorly; there was also a statistically significant increase in philtrum width. No significant differences between cleft and control regarding the cutaneous height of the upper lip. The lip in the cleft cases was flatter than in the non-cleft cases with less prominence of labialis superioris. Conclusions: Stereophotogrammetry allows detection of residual dysmorphology following cleft repair. There was significant increase of the philtrum width. The lip appeared flatter and more posterior displaced in Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate (UCLP) cases compared with control. Keywords: child, cleft lip and palate, lip repair, three-dimensional imaging.
- Three-dimensional assessment of early surgical outcome in repaired unilateral cleft lip and palate: Part 1. Nasal changes.
- Authors: Ayoub A, Garrahy A, Millett D, Bowman A, Siebert JP, Miller J, Ray A
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- 3D assessment of lip scarring and residual dysmorphology following surgical repair of cleft lip and palate: a preliminary study.
- Authors: Ayoub A, Bell A, Simmons D, Bowman A, Brown D, Lo TW, Xiao Y
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- Three-dimensional facial morphology following surgical repair of unilateral cleft lip and palate in patients after nasoalveolar molding.
- Authors: Singh GD, Levy-Bercowski D, Yáñez MA, Santiago PE
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- Effect of alveolar bone grafting on nasal morphology, symmetry, and nostril shape of patients with unilateral cleft lip and palate.
- Authors: Sander M, Daskalogiannakis J, Tompson B, Forrest C
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Early assessment of dental arch development in repaired unilateral cleft lip and unilateral cleft lip and palate versus controls.
- Authors: Garrahy A, Millett DT, Ayoub AF
- Issue date: 2005 Jul