Attitudes of final year dental students to the use of rubber dam.
AffiliationSchool of Dentistry, Cardiff University, UK.
Attitude of Health Personnel
Dental Restoration, Permanent
Dentist's Practice Patterns
Glass Ionomer Cements
Root Canal Therapy
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAttitudes of final year dental students to the use of rubber dam. 2009, 42 (7):632-8 Int Endod J
JournalInternational endodontic journal
AbstractTo investigate the attitudes of final year dental students in Wales and Ireland to the use of rubber dam.
A pre-piloted questionnaire was distributed to final year dental students in Cardiff and Cork Dental Schools in January 2008. Information sought included attitudes to, and the current and anticipated use of, rubber dam for a variety of operative and endodontic treatments.
Of 93 questionnaires distributed, 87 were completed and returned (response rate = 94%; Cardiff: 89%, n = 51; Cork: 100%, n = 36). Rubber dam was routinely used by 98% of respondents (n = 85) on adult patients, but only 32% of respondents (n = 28) had used rubber dam on child patients (P < 0.05). Rubber dam was never used by 75% of respondents (n = 65) when placing posterior amalgam restorations, and by 21% of respondents (n = 18) when placing anterior composite restorations. Rubber dam was used by 98% of the respondents (n = 85) when performing root canal treatments. Sixty-two per cent of respondents (n = 54) believed their use of rubber dam would decrease once leaving the dental school.
Whilst dental students believe that rubber dam is relevant to clinical dentistry, there are negative perceptions associated with its use amongst dental students. More than half of those questioned predicted their use of rubber dam would decrease once in independent practice. Greater emphasis should be placed on the advantages of using rubber dam in clinical dentistry whilst at dental school.
- Attitudes and use of rubber dam by Irish general dental practitioners.
- Authors: Lynch CD, McConnell RJ
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Attitudes of some European dental undergraduate students to the placement of direct restorative materials in posterior teeth.
- Authors: Lynch CD, Guillem SE, Nagrani B, Gilmour AS, Ericson D
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- Do dental educators need to improve their approach to teaching rubber dam use?
- Authors: Hill EE, Rubel BS
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Attitudes of final-year dental students to bleaching of vital and non-vital teeth in Cardiff, Cork, and Malmö.
- Authors: Hatherell S, Lynch CD, Burke FM, Ericson D, Gilmour AS
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- The attitudes of undergraduate dental students to the use of the rubber dam.
- Authors: Ryan W, O'Connel A
- Issue date: 2007 Summer