AffiliationDepartment of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont, Dublin 9. email@example.com
Hearing Loss, Sensorineural
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSensorineural hearing loss in children. 2010, 103 (2):51-4 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThe objective of the study was to examine the aetiology of sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL) in a paediatric population presenting to the National Centre of Medical Genetics. A retrospective chart review from 1998 to 2006. One hundred and twenty nine children were investigated for SNHL. The average age of diagnosis of hearing loss was 36 months. The degree of hearing loss was mild in 8 children, moderate in 33 children, severe in 31 children and profound in 57 children. Eighty-five children (66%) were diagnosed with a hereditary hearing loss, 11 (8%) children had an acquired hearing loss and no cause found in 33 (26%) children. This is the first report of the causes of hearing loss in Irish children. The mean age of diagnosis in our cohort is high and emphasises the need for a neonatal screening programme. There remains a number of children for whom the cause of hearing loss remains unknown.
- Value of genetic testing in the otological approach for sensorineural hearing loss.
- Authors: Matsunaga T
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Evaluation of pediatric sensorineural hearing loss with magnetic resonance imaging.
- Authors: McClay JE, Booth TN, Parry DA, Johnson R, Roland P
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Slight-mild sensorineural hearing loss in children: audiometric, clinical, and risk factor profiles.
- Authors: Cone BK, Wake M, Tobin S, Poulakis Z, Rickards FW
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- High prevalence of sensorineural hearing loss among survivors of neonatal congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Western Canadian ECMO Follow-up Group.
- Authors: Robertson CM, Cheung PY, Haluschak MM, Elliott CA, Leonard NJ
- Issue date: 1998 Nov
- Cytomegalovirus DNA detection in Guthrie cards: role in the diagnostic work-up of childhood hearing loss.
- Authors: Boudewyns A, Declau F, Smets K, Ursi D, Eyskens F, Van den Ende J, Van de Heyning P
- Issue date: 2009 Oct