Traumatic tricuspid regurgitation and right-to-left intra-atrial shunt--an unusual complication of a horse-kick.
AffiliationCResT Directorate, St. James's Hospital, St. James's St, Dublin. email@example.com
Tricuspid Valve Insufficiency
MetadataShow full item record
CitationTraumatic tricuspid regurgitation and right-to-left intra-atrial shunt--an unusual complication of a horse-kick. 2010, 103 (2):55-7 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractA 63-year-old male presented with sudden onset chest pain and dyspnoea following a kick to the praecordium while gelding a horse. Transthoracic echocardiography showed evidence of flail tricuspid valve leaflets, severe tricuspid regurgitation and a widely patent foramen ovale with a right-to-left shunt. Due to progressive severe systemic hypoxemia the patient underwent emergent surgical intervention. Operative findings confirmed rupture of the anterior and septal tricuspid valve papillary muscles. Successful papillary muscle reattachment was performed in association with tricuspid annuloplasty and suture closure of his patent foramen ovale. Disruption of the tricuspid valve is well described as consequence of blunt trauma to the chest wall and is often well tolerated, coming to light many years post injury. Valve disruption due to rupture at the papillary muscle level, however, typically results in greater severity of tricuspid regurgitation and the abrupt rise in right intra-atrial pressure may lead to a right-to-left shunt across a patent foramen ovale. Where hemodynamic compromise ensues, prompt surgical intervention is mandated.
- Valve repair with chordal replacement for traumatic tricuspid regurgitation.
- Authors: Sugita T, Watarida S, Katsuyama K, Nakajima Y, Yamamoto R, Mori A
- Issue date: 1997 Nov
- [A case of traumatic tricuspid regurgitation with bilateral pericardial laceration].
- Authors: Nakajima T, Ohkado A, Hirota J, Kainuma Y, Akiyama K, Ichihara T
- Issue date: 1996 Apr
- [Successful repair of tricuspid regurgitation due to blunt trauma].
- Authors: Hige K, Suehiro S, Shibata T, Sasaki Y, Kumano H, Hosono M, Kinoshita H
- Issue date: 1998 Nov
- [Successful valvuloplasty for isolated tricuspid regurgitation due to traumatic ruptured papillary muscle].
- Authors: Noji S, Kitamura N, Yamaguchi A, Shuntoh K, Kimura S, Irie H
- Issue date: 1995 Nov
- Visualization of traumatic tricuspid insufficiency by three-dimensional echocardiography.
- Authors: Nishimura K, Okayama H, Inoue K, Saito M, Nagai T, Suzuki J, Ogimoto A, Ohtsuka T, Higaki J
- Issue date: 2010 Jan