Access to dental care-parents' and caregivers' views on dental treatment services for people with disabilities.
AffiliationDepartment of Pediatric Dentistry, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, Australia. email@example.com
Appointments and Schedules
Attitude to Health
Dental Care for Disabled
Dental Service, Hospital
General Practice, Dental
Health Services Accessibility
Interviews as Topic
Primary Health Care
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAccess to dental care-parents' and caregivers' views on dental treatment services for people with disabilities., 30 (2):35-45 Spec Care Dentist
JournalSpecial care in dentistry : official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry
AbstractThe goal of this study was to elicit the views of patients or parents/caregivers of patients with disabilities regarding access to dental care. A questionnaire was generated both from interviews with patients/parents/caregivers already treated under sedation or general anesthesia as well as by use of the Delphi technique with other stakeholders. One hundred thirteen patients from across six community dental clinics and one dental hospital were included. Approximately, 38% of the subjects used a general dental practitioner and 35% used the community dental service for their dental care, with only 27% using the hospital dental services. Overall waiting time for an appointment at the secondary care setting was longer than for the primary care clinics. There was a high rate of parent/caregiver satisfaction with dental services and only five patients reported any difficulty with travel and access to clinics. This study highlights the need for a greater investment in education and training to improve skills in the primary dental care sector.
- Access to dental care for persons with developmental disabilities in Ontario.
- Authors: Koneru A, Sigal MJ
- Issue date: 2009 Mar
- Meeting the needs of parents around the time of diagnosis of disability among their children: evaluation of a novel program for information, support, and liaison by key workers.
- Authors: Rahi JS, Manaras I, Tuomainen H, Hundt GL
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- Effect of preventive dentistry training program for caregivers in community facilities on caregiver and client behavior and client oral hygiene.
- Authors: Glassman P, Miller CE
- Issue date: 2006 Mar-Apr
- Oral health status and dental service use of adults with learning disabilities living in residential institutions and in the community.
- Authors: Tiller S, Wilson KI, Gallagher JE
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- Dental screening and referral of young children by pediatric primary care providers.
- Authors: dela Cruz GG, Rozier RG, Slade G
- Issue date: 2004 Nov