Uptake of newly introduced universal BCG vaccination in newborns.
AffiliationDepartment of Neonatology, Cork University Maternity Hospital, Wilton, Cork.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationUptake of newly introduced universal BCG vaccination in newborns. 2010, 103 (6):187-8 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractUniversal neonatal BCG vaccination was discontinued in Cork in 1972. Following an outbreak of TB in 2 creches in the HSE South, a universal BCG vaccination program was re-introduced in October 2008. The aim of this study was to determine the vaccination process (in-hospital and community) and the in-hospital uptake of the vaccine. Following informed parental consent, babies of birth weight > 2.5 Kg were eligible for in-hospital vaccination if they were not: febrile, jaundiced on phototherapy, on antibiotics and if not born to HIV- positive mothers. Parents of babies not vaccinated in-hospital were asked to book an appointment in either of the 2 Cork community clinics. The immunisation nurse collected data on BCG vaccination, prospectively. This study examined vaccination uptakes in-hospital and community over a 6 month period (October 2008 to March 2009). There were 4018 deliveries during the study period. In-hospital consent was declined in only 16 babies (<1%) while the in-hospital vaccination uptake was 80% of total liv births. Although 635 newborns were admitted to the NICU, only 46 (8%) were vaccinated while in the NICU. At least 48% of planned community vaccination has been achieved to date. In conclusion, in-hospital consent was almost universal and vaccination uptake was satisfactory. NICU exclusion criteria accounted for a significant proportion of non-vaccination in-hospital. These criteria need to be readdressed considering that all premature babies are given other routine newborn vaccines at 2 months of age, regardless of weight.
- [Vaccination of newborns with high risk of tuberculosis in a French maternity hospital].
- Authors: Dommergues MA, Robichon F, Soltane S, Refol S, Panel P, Foucaud P
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- [Contemporary status of BCG vaccine in the world and in Serbia].
- Authors: Pesut D
- Issue date: 2004
- BCG vaccination of full-term infants with chronic intrauterine malnutrition: influence of immunization age on development of post-vaccination, delayed tuberculin hypersensitivity.
- Authors: Mussi-Pinhata MM, Goncalves AL, Foss NT
- Issue date: 1993
- Audit of the implementation of selective neonatal BCG immunisation in south east London.
- Authors: Tseng E, Nesbitt A, O'Sullivan D
- Issue date: 1997 Oct 17
- BCG vaccination reaction in low birth weight infants.
- Authors: Kaur S, Faridi MM, Agarwal KN
- Issue date: 2002 Aug