AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont, Dublin 9. firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
Catchment Area (Health)
Cause of Death
MetadataShow full item record
CitationProfile of sudden death in an adult population (1999-2008). 2010, 103 (6):183-4 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractSudden death is the sudden and unexpected death of an individual within 24 hours of symptom onset. The vast majority of these cases are found, at autopsy, to be due to underlying ischaemic cardiac disease. We retrospectively reviewed all adult post mortems performed at Beaumont Hospital over a decade (1999-2008). Our aim was to identify all sudden death cases (natural and accidental) and subclassify them according to age profile and organ system involved. We identified 1230 sudden death cases in the review period with 775 (63%) deaths attributable to ischaemic heart disease. The rate of sudden death remained constant over the decade with 663 (54%) deaths occurring in the first five years. Our negative autopsy rate was 2.8% corresponding to 35 cases. This is the first Irish study to retrospectively review all adult sudden deaths within a defined catchment area and analyse them as outlined above.
- Sudden unexpected deaths in different age groups at Ramathibodi Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand: a retrospective autopsy study during 2003-2007.
- Authors: Udnoon J, Chirachariyavej T, Peonim V
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Sudden unexpected child deaths: forensic autopsy results in cases of sudden deaths during a 5-year period.
- Authors: Tümer AR, Tümer L, Bilge Y
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- Natural, unexpected deaths: reliability of a presumptive diagnosis.
- Authors: Gill JR, Scordi-Bello IA
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- [Pathological study of unexpected sudden death clustered in family or village in Yunnan province: report of 29 cases of autopsy].
- Authors: Wang HY, Zhao H, Song LF, Huang WL, Niu CL, Li ZX, Yang CF, Liu XB, Liu JH, Yang L, Zhao S, Ren JM, Shi GQ, Zhang J, Pu JL, Yang YJ, Zeng G
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 21
- Acute pancreatitis presenting as sudden, unexpected death: an autopsy-based study of 27 cases.
- Authors: Tsokos M, Braun C
- Issue date: 2007 Sep