An outcome analysis of seventeen patients treated surgically for intractable extratemporal epilepsy.
AffiliationDepartment of Neurosurgery and Neurology, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont, Dublin 9.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAn outcome analysis of seventeen patients treated surgically for intractable extratemporal epilepsy., 103 (7):211-3 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractWe studied the outcomes of seventeen patients treated surgically for extratemporal lobe epilepsy. A retrospective case review of medical charts was performed. Seizure freedom post surgery was appraised using the Engel classification system. Post-operatively seven patients (41%) were seizure free (Engel class I), four patients were class II (23.5%), two in class III (11.76%) and four in class IV (23.5%). Three patients (17.6%) suffered traumatic injuries due to seizures. The mean duration of epilepsy prior to surgery was 12.2 years and the mean number of anti-epileptic medications given was 6.5. Seizure freedom rates for surgical treatment of extratemporal epilepsy in this centre are similar to those of other centres. Post-operative morbidity in this centre was similar to other centres. Any complications resolved with no lasting impairment.
- Outcome of extratemporal epilepsy surgery experience of a single center.
- Authors: Elsharkawy AE, Pannek H, Schulz R, Hoppe M, Pahs G, Gyimesi C, Nayel M, Issa A, Ebner A
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Cortical dysplastic lesions in children with intractable epilepsy: role of complete resection.
- Authors: Hader WJ, Mackay M, Otsubo H, Chitoku S, Weiss S, Becker L, Snead OC 3rd, Rutka JT
- Issue date: 2004 Feb
- [Surgical treatment of epilepsy: outcome of various surgical procedures in adults and children].
- Authors: Guénot M
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- Epilepsy surgery in children with focal cortical dysplasia (FCD): results of long-term seizure outcome.
- Authors: Kloss S, Pieper T, Pannek H, Holthausen H, Tuxhorn I
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Seizure outcome of lesionectomy in glioneuronal tumors associated with epilepsy in children.
- Authors: Giulioni M, Galassi E, Zucchelli M, Volpi L
- Issue date: 2005 Apr