Implementation of a clinical pathway for emergency department out-patient management of deep vein thrombosis.
AffiliationSt Vincent's University Hospital, Elm Park, Dublin 4. firstname.lastname@example.org
Emergency Service, Hospital
MetadataShow full item record
CitationImplementation of a clinical pathway for emergency department out-patient management of deep vein thrombosis. 2010, 103 (8):246-8 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThere is good evidence demonstrating that outpatient management of deep venous thrombosis (DVT) is feasible and safe. However, few emergency departments in Ireland have implemented care pathways for outpatient management of DVT. The aim of this study was to examine the safety and efficacy of implementing an Emergency Department (ED)- care pathway for outpatient management of patients with DVT. A retrospective observational study of this care pathway introduced at our institution was performed. The primary outcome measure was the number of hospital admissions avoided by using the care pathway. Two hundred and eighty-four patients presenting to the ED with suspected lower limb DVT, were managed using the care pathway over a 6 month period. Forty-nine patients (17%) had a DVT diagnosed. Thirty-nine patients (81%) were suitable for outpatient DVT management. Ten patients (19%) were admitted to hospital. At 3 months there were no reported cases of the following complications: missed DVT, pulmonary embolism or death.
- Outpatient treatment of deep venous thrombosis: a clinical care pathway managed by the emergency department.
- Authors: Vinson DR, Berman DA
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Thrombosis in the emergency department: use of a clinical diagnosis model to safely avoid the need for urgent radiological investigation.
- Authors: Anderson DR, Wells PS, Stiell I, MacLeod B, Simms M, Gray L, Robinson KS, Bormanis J, Mitchell M, Lewandowski B, Flowerdew G
- Issue date: 1999 Mar 8
- Comparison between two-point and three-point compression ultrasound for the diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis.
- Authors: Zuker-Herman R, Ayalon Dangur I, Berant R, Sitt EC, Baskin L, Shaya Y, Shiber S
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Outpatient management of deep venous thrombosis: 2 models of integrated care.
- Authors: Vinson DR, Berman DR, Patel PB, Hickey DO
- Issue date: 2006 Jul
- Bridging the gap between primary and secondary care: use of a clinical pathway for the investigation and management of deep vein thrombosis.
- Authors: Campbell S, MacDonald M, Carr B, Anderson D, MacKinley R, Cairns S
- Issue date: 2008 Jan