MYEOV (myeloma overexpressed gene) drives colon cancer cell migration and is regulated by PGE2.
AffiliationGastrointestinal Unit, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Eccles Street, Dublin 7, Ireland.
MeSHCell Line, Tumor
RNA, Small Interfering
Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reaction
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMYEOV (myeloma overexpressed gene) drives colon cancer cell migration and is regulated by PGE2. 2010, 29:81 J. Exp. Clin. Cancer Res.
JournalJournal of experimental & clinical cancer research : CR
AbstractINTRODUCTION: We have previously reported that Myeov (MYEloma OVerexpressed gene) expression is enhanced in colorectal cancer (CRC) and that it promotes CRC cell proliferation and invasion. The role of Myeov in CRC migration is unclear. ProstaglandinE2 (PGE 2) is a known factor in promoting CRC carcinogenesis. The role of PGE 2 in modulating Myeov expression has also not been defined. AIM: To assess the role of Myeov expression in CRC cell migration and to evaluate the role of PGE 2 in Myeov bioactivity. METHODS: siRNA mediated Myeov knockdown was achieved in T84 CRC cells. Knockdown was assessed using quantitative real time PCR. The effect of knockdown on CRC cell migration was assessed using a scratch wound healing assay. Separately, T84 cells were treated with PGE 2 (0.00025 micro M, 0.1 micro M and 1 micro M) from 30 min to 3 hours and the effect on Myeov gene expression was assessed using real time PCR. RESULTS: Myeov knockdown resulted in a significant reduction in CRC cell migration, observable as early as 12 hours (P < 0.05) with a 39% reduction compared to control at 36 hours (p < 0.01). Myeov expression was enhanced after treatment with PGE 2, with the greatest effect seen at 60 mins for all 3 PGE 2 doses. This response was dose dependent with a 290%, 550% & 1,000% increase in Myeov expression for 0.00025 micro M, 0.1 micro M and 1 micro M PGE 2 respectively. CONCLUSION: In addition to promoting CRC proliferation and invasion, our findings indicate that Myeov stimulates CRC cell migration, and its expression may be PGE 2 dependant.
- ETV4 and Myeov knockdown impairs colon cancer cell line proliferation and invasion.
- Authors: Moss AC, Lawlor G, Murray D, Tighe D, Madden SF, Mulligan AM, Keane CO, Brady HR, Doran PP, MacMathuna P
- Issue date: 2006 Jun 23
- Carbonic anhydrase-related protein VIII promotes colon cancer cell growth.
- Authors: Nishikata M, Nishimori I, Taniuchi K, Takeuchi T, Minakuchi T, Kohsaki T, Adachi Y, Ohtsuki Y, Onishi S
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Levamisole modulates prostaglandin E2 production and cyclooxygenase II gene expression in human colonic cancer cells.
- Authors: Liu CY, Lai YY, Lo CJ
- Issue date: 2004 Apr
- APRIL knockdown suppresses migration and invasion of human colon carcinoma cells.
- Authors: Ding W, Wang J, Sun B, Ju S, Yuan H, Wang X, Wang Y, Wang H
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Hypoxia inducible factor-1 mediates expression of galectin-1: the potential role in migration/invasion of colorectal cancer cells.
- Authors: Zhao XY, Chen TT, Xia L, Guo M, Xu Y, Yue F, Jiang Y, Chen GQ, Zhao KW
- Issue date: 2010 Aug