An investigation into the use of complementary and alternative medicine in an urban general practice.
AffiliationRath Mhuire Health Centre, 9 Malahide Rd, Swords, Co Dublin. firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAn investigation into the use of complementary and alternative medicine in an urban general practice., 103 (7):205-8 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractSeveral International studies have shown the substantial growth in the use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). However, no study in the Republic of Ireland to date has looked at its use among the population. A cross-sectional survey of 328 patients attending an urban general practice was conducted. A high number of respondents reported having visited a CAM practitioner within the past 12 months (89 patients; 27%). A significant positive association was found between CAM use and female gender (p = 0.006), middle-aged (p = 0.013), private health insurance (p = 0.016) and full time employment (p = 0.031). Massage was the most common modality used (35 patients; 39.8%), the most common reason for use was 'to treat an illness for which conventional medicine was already sought' (31 patients; 42%), a high rate of non-disclosure to GPs was found (34 patients; 41%) and personal recommendation was the most important source of information (42 patients; 53.2%). This study demonstrates the current popularity of an alternative healthcare system.
- Complementary therapies and the general practitioner. A survey of Perth GPs.
- Authors: Hall K, Giles-Corti B
- Issue date: 2000 Jun
- Use of alternative medicine by patients in a rural family practice clinic.
- Authors: del Mundo WF, Shepherd WC, Marose TD
- Issue date: 2002 Mar
- Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) among hospitalised patients: an Australian study.
- Authors: Shorofi SA, Arbon P
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Prevalence, pattern and predictors of use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) in migraine patients attending a headache clinic in Italy.
- Authors: Rossi P, Di Lorenzo G, Malpezzi MG, Faroni J, Cesarino F, Di Lorenzo C, Nappi G
- Issue date: 2005 Jul
- Patterns of complementary and alternative medicine use among patients undergoing cancer treatment.
- Authors: Corner J, Yardley J, Maher EJ, Roffe L, Young T, Maslin-Prothero S, Gwilliam C, Haviland J, Lewith G
- Issue date: 2009 May