IVF for premature ovarian failure: first reported births using oocytes donated from a twin sister.
AffiliationDivision of Reproductive Endocrinology, Sims IVF, Dublin, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Directed Tissue Donation
Fertilization in Vitro
Multiple Birth Offspring
Ovarian Failure, Premature
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIVF for premature ovarian failure: first reported births using oocytes donated from a twin sister. 2010, 8:31 Reprod. Biol. Endocrinol.
JournalReproductive biology and endocrinology : RB&E
AbstractBACKGROUND: Premature ovarian failure (POF) remains a clinically challenging entity because in vitro fertilisation (IVF) with donor oocytes is currently the only treatment known to be effective. METHODS: A 33 year-old nulligravid patient with a normal karyotype was diagnosed with POF; she had a history of failed fertility treatments and had an elevated serum FSH (42 mIU/ml). Oocytes donated by her dizygotic twin sister were used for IVF. The donor had already completed a successful pregnancy herself and subsequently produced a total of 10 oocytes after a combined FSH/LH superovulation regime. These eggs were fertilised with sperm from the recipient's husband via intracytoplasmic injection and two fresh embryos were transferred to the recipient on day three. RESULTS: A healthy twin pregnancy resulted from IVF; two boys were delivered by caesarean section at 39 weeks' gestation. Additionally, four embryos were cryopreserved for the recipient's future use. The sister-donor achieved another natural pregnancy six months after oocyte retrieval, resulting in a healthy singleton delivery. CONCLUSION: POF is believed to affect approximately 1% of reproductive age females, and POF patients with a sister who can be an oocyte donor for IVF are rare. Most such IVF patients will conceive from treatment using oocytes from an anonymous oocyte donor. This is the first report of births following sister-donor oocyte IVF in Ireland. Indeed, while sister-donor IVF has been successfully undertaken by IVF units elsewhere, this is the only known case where oocyte donation involved twin sisters. As with all types of donor gamete therapy, pre-treatment counselling is important in the circumstance of sister oocyte donation.
- Live birth following IVF/ICSI using oocytes from donor who was conceived via IVF: a case report.
- Authors: Kavoussi SK, Odenwald KC, Summers-Colquitt RB, Kavoussi PK, Kavoussi KM, Shelinbarger CL, Pool TB
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- [Fertilization of cryopreserved and thawed human oocytes (Cryo-Oo) by injection of spermatozoa (ICSI)--medical management of sterility and case report of a twin pregnancy].
- Authors: Würfel W, Schleyer M, Krüsmann G, Hertwig IV, Fiedler K
- Issue date: 1999
- Cryopreserved oocytes can serve as the treatment for secondary infertility: a novel model for egg donation.
- Authors: Knopman JM, Noyes N, Grifo JA
- Issue date: 2010 May 1
- Cryobiology in human assisted reproductive technology. Would Hippocrates approve?
- Authors: Bredkjaer HE, Grudzinskas JG
- Issue date: 2001 Jul
- Ovarian function and in vitro fertilization (IVF) in Turner syndrome.
- Authors: Hovatta O
- Issue date: 2012 May