Thoracic CT in the ED: a study of thoracic computed tomography utilisation.
AffiliationEmergency Department, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont, Dublin 9. firstname.lastname@example.org
MeSHEmergency Service, Hospital
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThoracic CT in the ED: a study of thoracic computed tomography utilisation. 2010, 103 (2):38-40 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThe aim of this retrospective study was to investigate the use of thoracic Computed Tomography (CT) in the Emergency Department of a Dublin Academic Teaching Hospital over a six month period. Data was retrieved using the hospital's computerised information system. There were 202 referrals in total for thoracic CT from the Emergency Department during this time period. The most common indication for thoracic CT referral was for the investigation of pulmonary embolism with 127 (63%) referrals. There were 40 (25%) referrals for suspected malignancy and lung disease, whilst 8 (4%) of the referrals were for investigation of thoracic aortic dissection, 8 (4%) for infection, and 6 (3%) were for investigation of thoracic injury. Only 8 (4%) of all referrals were for investigation of injury as a result of chest trauma.
- Trends in computed tomography utilisation in the emergency department: A 5 year experience in an urban medical centre in northern Taiwan.
- Authors: Chang JC, Lin YY, Hsu TF, Chen YC, How CK, Huang MS
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Trends and Variation in the Utilization and Diagnostic Yield of Chest Imaging for Medicare Patients With Suspected Pulmonary Embolism in the Emergency Department.
- Authors: Venkatesh AK, Agha L, Abaluck J, Rothenberg C, Kabrhel C, Raja AS
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Prevalence and significance of nonthromboembolic findings on chest computed tomography angiography performed to rule out pulmonary embolism: a multicenter study of 1,025 emergency department patients.
- Authors: Richman PB, Courtney DM, Friese J, Matthews J, Field A, Petri R, Kline JA
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- Lung parenchymal injury and its frequency in blunt thoracic trauma: the diagnostic value of chest radiography and thoracic CT.
- Authors: Elmali M, Baydin A, Nural MS, Arslan B, Ceyhan M, Gürmen N
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- Magnetic resonance imaging and computed tomography utilization trends in an academic ED.
- Authors: Quaday KA, Salzman JG, Gordon BD
- Issue date: 2014 Jun