AffiliationNational Maternity Hospital, Holies St., Dublin 2.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCurrent trends in Irish perinatal mortality. 2010, 103 (6):167-8, 170-1 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThis was a retrospective review of normally formed perinatal deaths among 176,620 births at the National Maternity Hospital (1984-2007). Prelabor stillbirths were categorised by presumed cause of death including unexplained, intrauterine growth retardation (IUGR), placental abruption, red cell alloimmunisation (RCA) and deaths related to prematurity. Peripartum deaths included intrapartum and first week neonatal deaths. The post-mortem rate, initially almost 100%, fell to 60%. Data were analysed using the Mantel-Haenszel chi square test for trends. In the study period there was a significant reduction in the PNM, largely because of a fall in death related to prematurity, term peripartum death, death at 42 weeks or greater, placental abruption, death related to IUGR and RCA (P < 0.01). Overall the unexplained still birth rate was unchanged throughout the study period (p = 0.8) despite a highly significant (p < 0.001) increase in obstetric intervention particularly induction of labor and caesarean section.
- Reducing perinatal mortality in Vila Central Hospital, Vanuatu.
- Authors: Maouris P
- Issue date: 1994 Sep
- Trends in utilization of obstetric care at Wesley Guild Hospital, Ilesa, Nigeria. Effects of a depressed economy.
- Authors: Owa JA, Osinaike AI, Makinde OO
- Issue date: 1995
- An analytic study of the trends in perinatal and neonatal mortality rates in the State of Qatar over a 30-year period (1977 to 2007): a comparative study with regional and developed countries.
- Authors: Salameh K, Rahman S, Al-Rifai H, Masoud A, Lutfi S, Abdouh G, Omar F, Khan Su, Bener A
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Perinatal mortality statistics in Harare 1980-1989.
- Authors: Iliff PJ, Kenyon N
- Issue date: 1991 May
- Perinatal asphyxia: multivariate analysis of risk factors in hospital births.
- Authors: Chandra S, Ramji S, Thirupuram S
- Issue date: 1997 Mar