Biological markers of amyloid beta-related mechanisms in Alzheimer's disease.
Walsh, Dominic M
Shaw, Les M
Trojanowski, John Q
AffiliationDiscipline of Psychiatry, School of Medicine and Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience (TCIN), Laboratory of Neuroimaging and Biomarker Research, Trinity College Dublin, Trinity Centre for Health Sciences, The Adelaide and Meath Hospital Incorporating The National Children's Hospital (AMiNCH), Dublin, Ireland; Department of Psychiatry, Alzheimer Memorial Center, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany.
Clinical Trials as Topic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBiological markers of amyloid beta-related mechanisms in Alzheimer's disease. 2010, 223 (2):334-46 Exp. Neurol.
AbstractRecent research progress has given detailed knowledge on the molecular pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease (AD), which has been translated into an intense, ongoing development of disease-modifying treatments. Most new drug candidates are targeted on inhibiting amyloid beta (Abeta) production and aggregation. In drug development, it is important to co-develop biomarkers for Abeta-related mechanisms to enable early diagnosis and patient stratification in clinical trials, and to serve as tools to identify and monitor the biochemical effect of the drug directly in patients. Biomarkers are also requested by regulatory authorities to serve as safety measurements. Molecular aberrations in the AD brain are reflected in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). Core CSF biomarkers include Abeta isoforms (Abeta40/Abeta42), soluble APP isoforms, Abeta oligomers and beta-site APP-cleaving enzyme 1 (BACE1). This article reviews recent research advances on core candidate CSF and plasma Abeta-related biomarkers, and gives a conceptual review on how to implement biomarkers in clinical trials in AD.
- Cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers for Alzheimer's disease.
- Authors: Blennow K, Zetterberg H
- Issue date: 2009
- Amyloid beta and APP as biomarkers for Alzheimer's disease.
- Authors: Zetterberg H, Blennow K, Hanse E
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Biomarkers in amyloid-β immunotherapy trials in Alzheimer's disease.
- Authors: Blennow K, Hampel H, Zetterberg H
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Core candidate neurochemical and imaging biomarkers of Alzheimer's disease.
- Authors: Hampel H, Bürger K, Teipel SJ, Bokde AL, Zetterberg H, Blennow K
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- Mirror Image of the Amyloid-β Species in Cerebrospinal Fluid and Cerebral Amyloid in Alzheimer's Disease.
- Authors: Catania M, Di Fede G, Tonoli E, Benussi L, Pasquali C, Giaccone G, Maderna E, Ghidoni R, Tagliavini F
- Issue date: 2015