Inhibition of Toll-like receptor 2-mediated interleukin-8 production in Cystic Fibrosis airway epithelial cells via the alpha7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor.
AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, RCSI Education and Research Centre, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland. email@example.com
Laser Scanning Cytometry
Toll-Like Receptor 2
Toll-Like Receptor 4
MetadataShow full item record
CitationInhibition of Toll-like receptor 2-mediated interleukin-8 production in Cystic Fibrosis airway epithelial cells via the alpha7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor. 2010, 2010:423241 Mediators Inflamm.
JournalMediators of inflammation
AbstractCystic Fibrosis (CF) is an inherited disorder characterised by chronic inflammation of the airways. The lung manifestations of CF include colonization with Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus leading to neutrophil-dominated airway inflammation and tissue damage. Inflammation in the CF lung is initiated by microbial components which activate the innate immune response via Toll-like receptors (TLRs), increasing airway epithelial cell production of proinflammatory mediators such as the neutrophil chemokine interleukin-8 (IL-8). Thus modulation of TLR function represents a therapeutic approach for CF. Nicotine is a naturally occurring plant alkaloid. Although it is negatively associated with cigarette smoking and cardiovascular damage, nicotine also has anti-inflammatory properties. Here we investigate the inhibitory capacity of nicotine against TLR2- and TLR4-induced IL-8 production by CFTE29o- airway epithelial cells, determine the role of alpha7-nAChR (nicotinic acetylcholine receptor) in these events, and provide data to support the potential use of safe nicotine analogues as anti-inflammatories for CF.
- TLR-induced inflammation in cystic fibrosis and non-cystic fibrosis airway epithelial cells.
- Authors: Greene CM, Carroll TP, Smith SG, Taggart CC, Devaney J, Griffin S, O'neill SJ, McElvaney NG
- Issue date: 2005 Feb 1
- Synergism between interleukin (IL)-17 and Toll-like receptor 2 and 4 signals to induce IL-8 expression in cystic fibrosis airway epithelial cells.
- Authors: Mizunoe S, Shuto T, Suzuki S, Matsumoto C, Watanabe K, Ueno-Shuto K, Suico MA, Onuki K, Gruenert DC, Kai H
- Issue date: 2012
- The expression and pharmacological characterization of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunits in HBE16 airway epithelial cells.
- Authors: Li Q, Zhou X, Kolosov VP, Perelman JM
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- IL-29 enhances Toll-like receptor-mediated IL-6 and IL-8 production by the synovial fibroblasts from rheumatoid arthritis patients.
- Authors: Xu L, Feng X, Tan W, Gu W, Guo D, Zhang M, Wang F
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 29
- Reduced surface toll-like receptor-4 expression and absent interferon-γ-inducible protein-10 induction in cystic fibrosis airway cells.
- Authors: John G, Chillappagari S, Rubin BK, Gruenert DC, Henke MO
- Issue date: 2011 Aug