AffiliationDepartment of Otolaryngology, Galway University Hospitals, Newcastle Rd, Galway. email@example.com
Head and Neck Neoplasms
Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPublic knowledge of head and neck cancer. 2010, 103 (4):105-7 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractStudies show 60% of patients with newly diagnosed Head & Neck Squamous Cell Cancer in Ireland, present with advanced disease. A poor level of knowledge and awareness among the public of Head & Neck Cancer, is an important consideration in the often delayed presentation for medical attention in many of these cases. Our study surveyed 200 members of the public to assess their knowledge and awareness of Head & Neck Cancer. One hundred and forty (70%) of respondents had never encountered the term "Head & Neck Cancer". One hundred and forty six (73%) failed to identify excessive alcohol consumption as a risk factor. Less than 100 (50%) would have concern about persisting hoarseness or a prolonged oral ulcer. An urgent need exists to raise awareness of Head & Neck Cancer among the public in Ireland.
- Recent changes in the epidemiology of head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Curado MP, Hashibe M
- Issue date: 2009 May
- Characteristics of participants in a free oral, head and neck cancer screening program.
- Authors: Gourin CG, Kaboli KC, Blume EJ, Nance MA, Koch WM
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Marijuana use and increased risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck.
- Authors: Zhang ZF, Morgenstern H, Spitz MR, Tashkin DP, Yu GP, Marshall JR, Hsu TC, Schantz SP
- Issue date: 1999 Dec
- Public awareness level of oral cancer in a group of dental patients.
- Authors: Peker I, Alkurt MT
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 1
- Oral health and risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck and esophagus: results of two multicentric case-control studies.
- Authors: Guha N, Boffetta P, Wünsch Filho V, Eluf Neto J, Shangina O, Zaridze D, Curado MP, Koifman S, Matos E, Menezes A, Szeszenia-Dabrowska N, Fernandez L, Mates D, Daudt AW, Lissowska J, Dikshit R, Brennan P
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 15