Delayed cystic fibrosis presentation in children in the absence of newborn screening.
AffiliationUCD School of Public Health, Physiotherapy and Population Science, Woodview Hse, UCD, Belfield, Dublin 4. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDelayed cystic fibrosis presentation in children in the absence of newborn screening. 2010, 103 (4):113-6 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractNewborn cystic fibrosis (CF) screening facilitates early diagnosis and nutritional intervention, which prevents malnourishment and improves growth in childhood. To provide baseline information on the natural history of CF in the Republic of Ireland, where newborn screening has not yet been introduced and CF incidence is high (1:1353 live births), we examined the effect of presentation mode, symptom type and gender on age at diagnosis. Median age at diagnosis was calculated by gender and for presentation mode/symptom type for 601 CF registry children diagnosed 1986-2007. Modes of presentation were each significantly associated with delayed presentation. An adjusted odds ratio of 4.5 (95% CI: 1.8, 11.1) was determined for presentation with family history, 43.1 for gastrointestinal symptoms presentation (95% CI: 18.3, 101.4), 96.9 for both respiratory and gastrointestinal symptoms (95% CI: 38.6, 243,4), and 115.4 for respiratory symptoms (95% CI: 45.2, 294.7). Children with respiratory symptoms had the greatest likelihood of delayed diagnosis (median age: 20.4 months), followed by those with respiratory and gastrointestinal symptoms (9.2 months). Gender was not significantly associated with a delayed presentation when presentation mode was taken into account.
- Delays in diagnosing cystic fibrosis: can we find ways to diagnose it earlier?
- Authors: Steinraths M, Vallance HD, Davidson AG
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- The survival advantage of patients with cystic fibrosis diagnosed through neonatal screening: evidence from the United States Cystic Fibrosis Foundation registry data.
- Authors: Lai HJ, Cheng Y, Farrell PM
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Neonatal screening for cystic fibrosis: long-term clinical balance.
- Authors: Mastella G, Zanolla L, Castellani C, Altieri S, Furnari M, Giglio L, Lombardo M, Miano A, Sciuto C, Pardo F, Magazzù G
- Issue date: 2001
- Delayed diagnosis of females with respiratory presentation of cystic fibrosis did not segregate with poorer clinical outcome.
- Authors: McCormick J, Sims EJ, Mehta A
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Differences in clinical condition and genotype at time of diagnosis of cystic fibrosis by newborn screening or by symptoms.
- Authors: Vernooij-van Langen AM, Gerzon FL, Loeber JG, Dompeling E, Dankert-Roelse JE
- Issue date: 2014 Sep-Oct