Abnormal hCG levels in a patient with treated stage I seminoma: a diagnostic dilemma.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Oncology, St, Luke's Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
Chorionic Gonadotropin, beta Subunit, Human
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAbnormal hCG levels in a patient with treated stage I seminoma: a diagnostic dilemma. 2008, 6:68 World J Surg Oncol
JournalWorld journal of surgical oncology
AbstractBACKGROUND: We report the case of a patient with treated Stage Ia seminoma who was found to have an elevated beta human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) on routine follow - up. This instigated restaging and could have lead to commencement of chemotherapy. CASE PRESENTATION: The patient was a bodybuilder, and following a negative metastatic work - up, admitted to injecting exogenous beta hCG. This was done to reduce withdrawal symptoms from androgen abuse. The patient remains well eight years post diagnosis. CONCLUSION: This case highlights the need for surgical oncologists to conduct vigilant screening of young male patients with a history of testicular germ cell tumours and who may indulge in steroid abuse.
- Histologically pure stage I seminoma with an elevated beta-hCG of 4497 IU/l.
- Authors: Bjurlin MA, August CZ, Weldon-Linne M, Totonchi E
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- No predictive value of beta-hCG in patients with stage I seminoma--results of a long-term follow-up study after adjuvant radiotherapy.
- Authors: Bruns F, Raub M, Schaefer U, Micke O
- Issue date: 2005 May-Jun
- The search for biomarkers of metastatic seminoma.
- Authors: Ruf CG, Khalili-Harbi N, Sachs S, Isbarn H, Wagner W, Matthies C, Meineke V, Fisch M, Chun FK, Abend M
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Late relapse of stage I testicular seminoma metastatic to just a para-ureteropelvic region.
- Authors: Tadokoro M, Masuda H, Fujii Y, Kobayashi T, Kageyama Y, Kihara K
- Issue date: 2004 Nov
- False-positive human serum chorionic gonadotropin in a patient with a history of germ cell cancer.
- Authors: Trojan A, Joller-Jemelka H, Stahel RA, Jacky E, Hersberger M
- Issue date: 2004