Coping strategies and styles of family carers of persons with enduring mental illness: a mixed methods analysis.
AffiliationHealth Research Board (HRB)
KeywordsMENTAL AND BEHAVIOURAL DISORDER
Local subject classificationIreland
Aged, 80 and over
Attitude to Health
Cost of Illness
Data Interpretation, Statistical
Nursing Methodology Research
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCoping strategies and styles of family carers of persons with enduring mental illness: a mixed methods analysis. 2008, 22 (1):19-28 Scand J Caring Sci
PublisherHealth Research Board (HRB)
JournalScandinavian journal of caring sciences
AbstractA qualitative exploratory study investigated the experiences and needs of family carers of persons with enduring mental illness in Ireland. The current mixed-methods secondary study used content analysis and statistical procedures to identify and explore the coping strategies emerging from the original interviews. The majority of family carers reported use of active behavioural coping strategies, sometimes combined with active cognitive or avoidance strategies. The percentage of cares reporting use of active cognitive strategies was the lowest among those whose ill relative lived in their home, and the highest among those whose relative lived independently. Participants with identified active cognitive strategies often reported that their relative was employed or in training. Participants who reported use of avoidance strategies were significantly younger than participants who did not report use of such strategies. The lowest percentage of avoidance strategies was among participants whose ill relative lived independently, whereas the highest was among carers whose relative lived in their home. The findings of this study highlight the importance of a contextual approach to studying coping styles and processes. Further research questions and methodological implications are discussed.
- The experience of the family caregivers' role: a qualitative study.
- Authors: Lane P, McKenna H, Ryan A, Fleming P
- Issue date: 2003 Summer
- Managing as carers of stroke survivors: strategies from the field.
- Authors: O'Connell B, Baker L
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- Informal carers of mentally infirm elderly in Lancashire.
- Authors: Mafullul YM
- Issue date: 2002 Jun
- The health of family caregivers of older impaired persons in Lebanon: an interview survey.
- Authors: Séoud J, Nehmé C, Atallah R, Zablit C, Yérétzian J, Lévesque L, Giroux F, Ducharme F
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- Male caregivers of mentally ill relatives.
- Authors: Mays GD, Lund CH
- Issue date: 1999 Apr-Jun