AffiliationDepartment of Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering, University of Dublin, Trinity College, Ireland. email@example.com
World Health Organization
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe control of environmental tobacco smoke: a policy review. 2009, 6 (2):741-58 Int J Environ Res Public Health
JournalInternational journal of environmental research and public health
AbstractAccording to World Health Organisation figures, 30% of all cancer deaths, 20% of all coronary heart diseases and strokes and 80% of all chronic obstructive pulmonary disease are caused by cigarette smoking. Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS) exposure has also been shown to be associated with disease and premature death in non-smokers. In response to this environmental health issue, several countries have brought about a smoking ban policy in public places and in the workplace. Countries such as the U.S., France, Italy, Ireland, Malta, the Netherlands, Sweden, Scotland, Spain, and England have all introduced policies aimed at reducing the population exposure to ETS. Several investigations have monitored the effectiveness of these smoking ban policies in terms of ETS concentrations, human health and smoking prevalence, while others have also investigated a number of alternatives to smoking ban policy measures. This paper reviews the state of the art in research, carried out in the field of ETS, smoking bans and Tobacco Control to date and highlights the need for future research in the area.
- Environmental tobacco smoke: health policy and focus on Italian legislation.
- Authors: Giraldi G, Fovi De Ruggiero G, Marsella LT, De Luca d'Alessandro E
- Issue date: 2013
- Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) and determinants of support for complete smoking bans in psychiatric settings.
- Authors: Willemsen MC, Görts CA, Van Soelen P, Jonkers R, Hilberink SR
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- Environmental tobacco smoke in designated smoking areas in the hospitality industry: exposure measurements, exposure modelling and policy assessment.
- Authors: McNabola A, Eyre GJ, Gill LW
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Towards the world-wide ban of indoor cigarette smoking in public places.
- Authors: Rivero LR, Persson JL, Romine DC, Taylor JT, Toole TC, Trollman CJ, Au WW
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- US adult attitudes and practices regarding smoking restrictions and child exposure to environmental tobacco smoke: changes in the social climate from 2000-2001.
- Authors: McMillen RC, Winickoff JP, Klein JD, Weitzman M
- Issue date: 2003 Jul