Idiopathic toe walking: a gait laboratory review

Hdl Handle:
http://hdl.handle.net/10147/575061
Title:
Idiopathic toe walking: a gait laboratory review
Authors:
O’Sullivan, R; O'Brien, T
Publisher:
Irish Medical Journal
Journal:
Irish Medical Journal
Issue Date:
Jul-2015
URI:
http://hdl.handle.net/10147/575061
Item Type:
Article
Language:
en
Description:
Idiopathic toe walking (ITW) is defined as one who is neurologically normal but demonstrates a preference for walking on the toes. It is a diagnosis of exclusion so differential diagnoses such as cerebral palsy, neuropathy or myopathy must be ruled out. A review of 102 patients attending a gait laboratory with a presumptive diagnosis of ITW found that gait analysis data agreed with this diagnosis in 81 (79.4%) of cases while the remaining 21 (20.6%) were not typical of this diagnosis. The features found to be significantly different between the groups were Babinski response, fast stretch of the gastrocnemius, knee flexion at initial contact and asymmetry at the ankles during gait. This study highlights that clinical gait analysis can be a useful, non-invasive means of diagnosing idiopathic toe walking and recommending appropriate intervention based on clinical and dynamic assessment of calf tightness.
Keywords:
GAIT; MUSCULOSKELETAL DISORDERS

Full metadata record

DC FieldValue Language
dc.contributor.authorO’Sullivan, Ren
dc.contributor.authorO'Brien, Ten
dc.date.accessioned2015-08-18T12:00:42Zen
dc.date.available2015-08-18T12:00:42Zen
dc.date.issued2015-07en
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10147/575061en
dc.descriptionIdiopathic toe walking (ITW) is defined as one who is neurologically normal but demonstrates a preference for walking on the toes. It is a diagnosis of exclusion so differential diagnoses such as cerebral palsy, neuropathy or myopathy must be ruled out. A review of 102 patients attending a gait laboratory with a presumptive diagnosis of ITW found that gait analysis data agreed with this diagnosis in 81 (79.4%) of cases while the remaining 21 (20.6%) were not typical of this diagnosis. The features found to be significantly different between the groups were Babinski response, fast stretch of the gastrocnemius, knee flexion at initial contact and asymmetry at the ankles during gait. This study highlights that clinical gait analysis can be a useful, non-invasive means of diagnosing idiopathic toe walking and recommending appropriate intervention based on clinical and dynamic assessment of calf tightness.en
dc.language.isoenen
dc.publisherIrish Medical Journalen
dc.subjectGAITen
dc.subjectMUSCULOSKELETAL DISORDERSen
dc.titleIdiopathic toe walking: a gait laboratory reviewen
dc.typeArticleen
dc.identifier.journalIrish Medical Journalen
All Items in Lenus, The Irish Health Repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.