Report on the psychiatric sequelae to the Stardust fire.

Hdl Handle:
http://hdl.handle.net/10147/572679
Title:
Report on the psychiatric sequelae to the Stardust fire.
Authors:
Mullaney, James A.; Barry, Siobhan; McGuinness, Michael
Citation:
Mullaney, James A, Barry, Siobhan, McGuiness, Michael. 1991. Report on the psychiatric sequelae to the Stardust fire. Dublin: [Stationery Office]
Publisher:
[Government Publications]
Issue Date:
Mar-1991
URI:
http://hdl.handle.net/10147/572679
Item Type:
Study
Language:
en
Description:
The early morning hours of Saturday, February 14th 1981 became a time of unexpected horror for an estimated 840 young people who were attending a disco in a nightclub in Dublin. The setting was the Stardust, in Artane. This building was a renovated jam factory which had been turned into a nightclub four years previously. Patrons were largely residents of the housing estates of the neighbourhood surrounding the nightclub: areas such as Bonnybrook, Coolock, Kilmore, Artane, Donnycarney and Edenmore. At the conclusion of a disco-dancing competition at 1.30 a.m. a fire was noticed in an area of banked seating in an alcove which had been curtained off. Some people, on seeing the fire moved towards the exits, a number of which although unlocked, had padlocks and chains draped across them, giving the impression that they were locked. Two others doors were obstructed by seats and skips containing empty bottles. The lights in the building failed four minutes after the fire had first been seen, resulting in panic. In the confusion many patrons found themselves trapped in the toilets, the windows of which had been sealed with metal lining to prevent the transfer of drink, drugs or other articles in either direction. Highly inflammable tiles on the walls and ceiling contributed to the speed with which the fire engulfed the ballroom. Five minutes after the failure of the lights the contents of the ballroom were on fire. By the time the first fire engine arrived the fire had begun to diminish.
Keywords:
FIRE SAFETY; EMERGENCY; BURN INJURY; BUILT ENVIRONMENT; QUESTIONNAIRE
Local subject classification:
INFLAMMABLE

Full metadata record

DC FieldValue Language
dc.contributor.authorMullaney, James A.en
dc.contributor.authorBarry, Siobhanen
dc.contributor.authorMcGuinness, Michaelen
dc.date.accessioned2015-08-17T11:38:21Zen
dc.date.available2015-08-17T11:38:21Zen
dc.date.issued1991-03en
dc.identifier.citationMullaney, James A, Barry, Siobhan, McGuiness, Michael. 1991. Report on the psychiatric sequelae to the Stardust fire. Dublin: [Stationery Office]en
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10147/572679en
dc.descriptionThe early morning hours of Saturday, February 14th 1981 became a time of unexpected horror for an estimated 840 young people who were attending a disco in a nightclub in Dublin. The setting was the Stardust, in Artane. This building was a renovated jam factory which had been turned into a nightclub four years previously. Patrons were largely residents of the housing estates of the neighbourhood surrounding the nightclub: areas such as Bonnybrook, Coolock, Kilmore, Artane, Donnycarney and Edenmore. At the conclusion of a disco-dancing competition at 1.30 a.m. a fire was noticed in an area of banked seating in an alcove which had been curtained off. Some people, on seeing the fire moved towards the exits, a number of which although unlocked, had padlocks and chains draped across them, giving the impression that they were locked. Two others doors were obstructed by seats and skips containing empty bottles. The lights in the building failed four minutes after the fire had first been seen, resulting in panic. In the confusion many patrons found themselves trapped in the toilets, the windows of which had been sealed with metal lining to prevent the transfer of drink, drugs or other articles in either direction. Highly inflammable tiles on the walls and ceiling contributed to the speed with which the fire engulfed the ballroom. Five minutes after the failure of the lights the contents of the ballroom were on fire. By the time the first fire engine arrived the fire had begun to diminish.en
dc.language.isoenen
dc.publisher[Government Publications]en
dc.subjectFIRE SAFETYen
dc.subjectEMERGENCYen
dc.subjectBURN INJURYen
dc.subjectBUILT ENVIRONMENTen
dc.subjectQUESTIONNAIREen
dc.subject.otherINFLAMMABLEen
dc.titleReport on the psychiatric sequelae to the Stardust fire.en
dc.typeStudyen
All Items in Lenus, The Irish Health Repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.