Delayed prescriptions: attitudes and experiences of General Practitioners in the Midwest

Hdl Handle:
http://hdl.handle.net/10147/294585
Title:
Delayed prescriptions: attitudes and experiences of General Practitioners in the Midwest
Authors:
Hayes, M; Faherty, A; Hannon, D
Publisher:
Irish Medical Journal
Journal:
Irish Medical Journal
Issue Date:
Jun-2013
URI:
http://hdl.handle.net/10147/294585
Additional Links:
http://www.imj.ie/
Item Type:
Article
Language:
en
Description:
141 questionnaires were posted to GPs randomly selected in the Mid-West. 103 responses were received. 32 GPs (31%) strongly agreed and 65 GPs (63%) agreed that antibiotics are over used in general practice. 35 GPs (34%) felt under pressure to prescribe an antibiotic at least once a day. 41 GPs (40%) agreed that delayed prescriptions are a safe prescribing strategy. 53 GPs (51%) agreed that delayed prescriptions have the potential to reduce antibiotic use. 33 GPs (32%) disagreed that giving delayed prescriptions increases the duration of the consultation. 49 GPs (47%) agreed that delayed prescriptions decrease the likelihood of return visit in the same illness. 55 GPs (53%) agreed that delayed prescriptions help to involve patients in managing their own illness. 46 GPs (45%) disagreed that patients find delayed prescriptions confusing. The majority of GPs (41/39.8%) use delayed prescriptions once a week or at least once a day (34/33%).
Keywords:
SURVEYS; GENERAL PRACTITIONER; PRESCRIPTIONS

Full metadata record

DC FieldValue Language
dc.contributor.authorHayes, Men_GB
dc.contributor.authorFaherty, Aen_GB
dc.contributor.authorHannon, Den_GB
dc.date.accessioned2013-06-26T08:57:37Z-
dc.date.available2013-06-26T08:57:37Z-
dc.date.issued2013-06-
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10147/294585-
dc.description141 questionnaires were posted to GPs randomly selected in the Mid-West. 103 responses were received. 32 GPs (31%) strongly agreed and 65 GPs (63%) agreed that antibiotics are over used in general practice. 35 GPs (34%) felt under pressure to prescribe an antibiotic at least once a day. 41 GPs (40%) agreed that delayed prescriptions are a safe prescribing strategy. 53 GPs (51%) agreed that delayed prescriptions have the potential to reduce antibiotic use. 33 GPs (32%) disagreed that giving delayed prescriptions increases the duration of the consultation. 49 GPs (47%) agreed that delayed prescriptions decrease the likelihood of return visit in the same illness. 55 GPs (53%) agreed that delayed prescriptions help to involve patients in managing their own illness. 46 GPs (45%) disagreed that patients find delayed prescriptions confusing. The majority of GPs (41/39.8%) use delayed prescriptions once a week or at least once a day (34/33%).en_GB
dc.language.isoenen
dc.publisherIrish Medical Journalen_GB
dc.relation.urlhttp://www.imj.ie/en_GB
dc.subjectSURVEYSen_GB
dc.subjectGENERAL PRACTITIONERen_GB
dc.subjectPRESCRIPTIONSen_GB
dc.titleDelayed prescriptions: attitudes and experiences of General Practitioners in the Midwesten_GB
dc.typeArticleen
dc.identifier.journalIrish Medical Journalen_GB
All Items in Lenus, The Irish Health Repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.