Possible fire hazard caused by mismatching electrical chargers with the incorrect device within the operating room.

Hdl Handle:
http://hdl.handle.net/10147/209250
Title:
Possible fire hazard caused by mismatching electrical chargers with the incorrect device within the operating room.
Authors:
Hargrove, Martin; Aherne, Thomas
Affiliation:
Cardiothoracic Surgery Unit, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland., Martin.Hargrove@mailp.hse.ie
Citation:
J Extra Corpor Technol. 2007 Sep;39(3):199-200.
Journal:
The Journal of extra-corporeal technology
Issue Date:
3-Feb-2012
URI:
http://hdl.handle.net/10147/209250
PubMed ID:
17972456
Abstract:
It has come to our attention that numerous devices that need charging adaptors during cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) have similar charging sockets but different voltage requirements. This has caused one of our devices in the operating theater to overheat and completely shut down when connected to an incorrect higher-voltage charger. The possibility of fire, device destruction, or patient harm in such circumstances is of serious concern.
Language:
eng
MeSH:
Adult; Cardiopulmonary Bypass/*instrumentation; *Electric Power Supplies; *Electricity; Equipment Failure; *Equipment Failure Analysis; Fires/*prevention & control; Humans; Ireland; Male; Operating Rooms; *Risk Assessment
ISSN:
0022-1058 (Print); 0022-1058 (Linking)

Full metadata record

DC FieldValue Language
dc.contributor.authorHargrove, Martinen_GB
dc.contributor.authorAherne, Thomasen_GB
dc.date.accessioned2012-02-03T15:16:14Z-
dc.date.available2012-02-03T15:16:14Z-
dc.date.issued2012-02-03T15:16:14Z-
dc.identifier.citationJ Extra Corpor Technol. 2007 Sep;39(3):199-200.en_GB
dc.identifier.issn0022-1058 (Print)en_GB
dc.identifier.issn0022-1058 (Linking)en_GB
dc.identifier.pmid17972456en_GB
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10147/209250-
dc.description.abstractIt has come to our attention that numerous devices that need charging adaptors during cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) have similar charging sockets but different voltage requirements. This has caused one of our devices in the operating theater to overheat and completely shut down when connected to an incorrect higher-voltage charger. The possibility of fire, device destruction, or patient harm in such circumstances is of serious concern.en_GB
dc.language.isoengen_GB
dc.subject.meshAdulten_GB
dc.subject.meshCardiopulmonary Bypass/*instrumentationen_GB
dc.subject.mesh*Electric Power Suppliesen_GB
dc.subject.mesh*Electricityen_GB
dc.subject.meshEquipment Failureen_GB
dc.subject.mesh*Equipment Failure Analysisen_GB
dc.subject.meshFires/*prevention & controlen_GB
dc.subject.meshHumansen_GB
dc.subject.meshIrelanden_GB
dc.subject.meshMaleen_GB
dc.subject.meshOperating Roomsen_GB
dc.subject.mesh*Risk Assessmenten_GB
dc.titlePossible fire hazard caused by mismatching electrical chargers with the incorrect device within the operating room.en_GB
dc.contributor.departmentCardiothoracic Surgery Unit, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland., Martin.Hargrove@mailp.hse.ieen_GB
dc.identifier.journalThe Journal of extra-corporeal technologyen_GB
dc.description.provinceMunster-

Related articles on PubMed

All Items in Lenus, The Irish Health Repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.